Successful leaders exhibit these 30 qualities, behaviors, and skills. Item one is first because it’s most important. The rest are listed randomly.
You’re ready to lead when you:
- Know yourself and live in alignment with that knowledge.
- Follow well.
- Fully adhere to organizational values.
- Practice influence rather than coercion.
- Listen to the wisdom and experience of others.
- Embrace new methods while respecting the past.
- See issues from many perspectives.
- Don’t take things personally.
- Always seek the highest good of others.
- Advocate for ideas without being adversarial.
- Understand the difference between leading and managing.
- Follow up and follow through.
- Create results through others.
- Have followers.
- Consistently demonstrate initiative.
- Leverage diverse communication techniques.
- Demonstrate courage and gentleness.
- Give credit to others and take responsibility yourself.
- See and leverage the strengths of others.
- Lead yourself with self-discipline.
- Listen and learn from criticism.
- Are already leading.
- Understand leading is serving not being served.
- Curiously explore.
- Get out of the way so others can perform without you.
- Comfortably ask for and accept help from others.
- Know you don’t know.
- Always act ethically.
- Consistently move forward.
- Remain optimistic while working on problems.
Bonus: Find simplicity in complexity.
Thank you to the participants of the Leadership Freak Coffee Shop on Facebook who inspired and contributed to this list.