Your ability to cultivate people determines your impact in the world.
Surprisingly, only 15% of top performers are likely to be high potentials (HiPo). Performance is easy to spot. But, if you want to change the world, look for people with character.
After performance, character determines potential. Leaders without character are disasters in the making.
7 character traits of HiPo’s:
- Belief. Do they believe in your mission and share your values?
- Commitment. Self-satisfaction is the enemy of potential. What are they learning? How are they committed to self-development?
- Flexibility. How do they adapt? Many high performers limit their potential with inflexible.
- Humility. How do they honor others?
- Boldness. Humility and boldness intentionally follow each other. Humility without boldness is weakness. How are they confronting tough issues?
- Trusting. How are they letting go?
- Insight. How well do they understand motivations and values of teammates?
Bonus: Energy. How do they respond to challenges?
5 mistakes with HiPo’s:
- Passion for them outstrips their passion for themselves. HiPo’s pull you forward.If you’re pushing them, they aren’t HiPo’s.
- Seduction by talent. Current success doesn’t guarantee success in new roles.
- Secrecy about their selection. HiPo’s should know you believe in them.
- Lack of clarity about the path forward.
- Delay in opportunity for them to stretch their wings.
7 ways to spot HiPo’s on the fringes:
People on the fringes represent untapped opportunities.
- They don’t seek the spotlight.They work hard in the shadows. Flashy isn’t necessarily strong.
- They build strong relationships. Loners aren’t HiPo’s.
- They likely are introverts. Don’t confuse quiet with weak.
- They need time to find direction and confidence. Help them try things.
- They believe in your mission.
- They tell you what they think.
- They may need time to practice self-reflection.
Leaders who identify and develop HiPo’s multiply their impact in the world.
How do you spot high potentials?
How might leaders develop high potentials?