icon-email icon-facebook icon-linkedin icon-print icon-rss icon-search icon-stumbleupon icon-twitter icon-arrow-right icon-email icon-facebook icon-linkedin icon-print icon-rss icon-search icon-stumbleupon icon-twitter icon-arrow-right icon-user Skip to content
Senior Correspondent

A short post. Sable is in Melbourne Harbor Marina. We didn’t quite make the last two days. Very unusual weather coming to Florida. Very high seas-15-18  feet with swells up to 8 feet and winds 20 + knots. We decided to come home, catch up, prepare taxes (that part is from Ed) and then return in a month to finish the last two days to Halifax Harbor in Daytona Beach when the weather is better.

Just a short story here. The following paragraphs are from our second novel, Night Watch. The photos are from Staniel Cay in the Exumas where the game of dominos was on-going.

Carter stepped back out into the sunshine to the loud slapping of dominos against the table, followed by enthusiastic cheering. This was the unique way Bahamians played the game; a game that seemed to have no end, only a change in players. He watched the group gathered under the Banyan tree, its distinctive twisted trunks and low spreading branches provided the shade both for the ongoing game and Momma Daisy’s Bakery Van that smelled like heaven and sold the best pastries and bread on the island. Dr. Rolle was one of the players.

“Hey, Dr. Rolle, I just sent someone to your office. Ciguatera. They’re flying out, but they’d like to see you first.”

Rolle continued to slap his dominos. “They breathin okay?” he asked, without looking up.

“Seem to be,” Carter replied.

“Not much I can do then. But Cecilia in da office. If she need me, she know where to find me.”

Carter waited, but Rolle didn’t add anything more so Carter headed back toward the dinghy. A hand grasped his shoulder so hard it hurt.

I did have Ciguatera, but not on this trip. Ciguatera is a neurotoxin that humans get from eating fish that have eaten certain microorganisms that live on coral. It is MOST uncomfortable with swelling of the hands and feet, a burning sensation, blisters between fingers and toes, and reversal of sensation so that what should feel like a gentle touch-such as water running over your hands- feels like pins and needles. Mine lasted about 10 days, but it can be longer and can involve respiration. Not a good experience.

Stay Up to Date

Sign up for articles by Ed and Janet Howle and other Senior Correspondents.

Latest Stories

Choosing Senior Living
Love Old Journalists

Our Mission

To amplify the voices of older adults for the good of society

Learn More